Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Princess Bride

I have been thinking about this movie a lot lately. It happens to be one of my favorites and I can quote the entire movie almost verbatim (yes I will spare you that delight). I like this movie for several reasons.

The characters are all unique, quirky and memorable to say the least. For starters you have the evil Prince Humperdink who is actually a coward. The wonderful Miracle Max and his wife...'nuff said. The Spaniard who wanted to avenge his father's death and protect his family honor and the Giant. Of course the "inconceivable" genius who was a moron when it came down to it.

Of course all the things such as ROUS's, the "pit of despair", the brute squad, screeching eels, the cliffs of insanity and the fire swamp are all hard to forget also. But ultimately it is the relationship between Buttercup and Wesley that draws me back each time.

Buttercup and Wesley's relationship reminds me of God. No not the silly stuff but the "true love" and the chase. Wesley never gave up on finding Buttercup even when Buttercup had moved on and left Wesley behind so to speak. You see there have been times in my life when I have turned my back on God. GASP! But God never turned away from me. Even when I ran as fast as I could God still kept an eye on me, a watchful eye. He slowly drew me back to Him. When I STILL didn't listen He then let me be dropped me to rock bottom. Then I had nowhere to turn except to Him. Wesley didn't give up on Buttercup even when he was "mostly dead". Wesley was brought back to life by Miracle Max to "save" Buttercup. Jesus has risen from the dead to save me. Even if it where only me He still would have done it. That is a heavy thought...

I'm sure I have offended someone by this post but I do not mean it to be disrespectful in any way.

I think I have been contemplating this because I see Big Red running from God. I hope he comes back to God.

Man! In the middle of this post I received a phone call that informed me that one of my friends lost her job tonight. She is one of my co-teachers and I have been witnessing to her for the last year or so. I have not gotten her to the point of a commitment but oh so close...

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I knew there was some reason I liked you, I mean other that that witty sarcasm (*wink)

That is my favorite movie of all time also. "As for the ROUS's . . . I don't think they exist" LOL

Oh no . . . I can see it know . . . work, quoting, irritating others around us . . . we're in trouble now.

Sheri said...

By the way . . .
Have you read the book? It is fantastic. In most places it is word for word.