Sunday, January 22, 2006

My Dog Angus


Ok so the pictures aren't really of my dog Angus but they have an eerie likeness to him. I was informed today that on Thursday night our beloved black lab Angus darted into traffic on his way after another dog and was hit by a car. Big Red saw the whole thing and was powerless to stop it because it all happened so fast. Angus did not suffer and basically died instantly. I was not aware how much I cared for the dog until this happened. I am more of a "cat person". But shortly after we were married we inherited Angus from Big Red's sister. She had been neglecting him and he was bald from mange when he came to us. The mange had never been treated when he was a pup but was not contagious. We spend lots of time, money and love regrowing his hair. From time to time he would start going bald again and we would nurse him back to health. I didn't want the dog but he started to grow on me. He became fiercely protective of me when a stranger entered our home. In fact I had to physically touch people as they entered the house so that he would stop barking and growling. Instantly he would put a paw up and nuzzle into them for the petting he believed he deserved for protecting me.
Now with all that being said...
I did let Big Red know I was quite upset that he had not called and given me a chance to say goodbye. He took him to the Humane Society so he could be "disposed of". He said he was trying to protect me because of how Angus looked. I told him I didn't care because Big Red knows how I am so passionate about animals. Angus was a part of the family. He was more than just a dog he was... part of us.

Our big "hairless wonderdog", Belchy McFartson... Angus will be missed.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Angus was a sweet pup. I'll miss his slobbery kisses.