Sunday, January 29, 2006

God has taught me...

In listening to the sermons at church over the last several weeks I have learned a few very important things that I believe God has brought to my attention.
  • God prepares us for future trials and events by the things we endure now
  • When we remember His promises and don't concentrate on our performance in the situation we will be better suited for His work
  • Reflect on His faithfulness but do not dwell in the past
The first point scares me to be quite honest. If I look back at the things I have "survived" or the "issues" I have conquered I shutter to think what battles still lay ahead of me! Here is the key though...Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." I always forget that part. I alone can do nothing. Christ is the one who provides the power and abilities for me to accomplish His work. Anything I do on my own makes God an advisor in my life not the ruler.

When I focus my thoughts on His promises as stated in His Word I have all the answers I need (need not want). I could focus on the times I messed up or blew it big time in a moment of weakness but once I ask for forgiveness and repent God forgets my sins. The key is to turn from the sin and make a change. When I can focus on Him and the promises in His word, He can prepare me for His work. Even in this difficult situation where I am going through this divorce I know that He is preparing me for something else.

I could make a list of things God has done for me (and someday I might for you) but He wants me to focus on the promises He has made to me. How am I going to use the gifts He has given me? God wants me to be proactive and look to the future.

I know that people around me are watching me to see how I handle Big Red and the divorce. Christians and Non-Christians watch me to see if I really am living for God. Am I handling things in a way that would be pleasing to Him? Or is He sighing every time I do something in His name because of the way I represent Him to others? I know because I have had several people tell me how well I'm doing...They don't know how I have made it this long without killing him...Why haven't I divorced Big Red sooner than this....And I tell them. I tell them I'm honoring my word to serve God with all of my life, I'm waiting for God to release me and God can do miracles if we give Him the chance.

Well God has released me from my marriage, I have seen the lawyer and God has done a miracle. He has protected me from further heartache and He is watching over me every step I take. Judging from the other people in my DivorceCare class I believe God has worked a miracle in how well I am dealing with this...He has helped me work through the process because of the other traumas I have dealt with in my life.

He was faithful before and He will be faithful again.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thank you. I needed to read that today.