Saturday, March 25, 2006

Spring Fling Part 2

I am still at a loss for words to describe the event last night. I was assigned to the back of the sanctuary to make sure none of the children left without a group leader. I was also asked to "supervise" any children who were having trouble listening, paying attention and/or being too loud and obnoxious. That's what you get when the children's pastor knows you are a teacher.

I had a few groups that I needed to discuss things with and remind them that people around them were praying etc. Respectful was the idea while we were in the worship service. Loud and rowdy was reserved for the games and contests later in the night.

I would estimate about 150-200 children were present. Some for the lock in and some from another ministry that asked to join just the worship service last night. We had about 1 adult for every 10 children. That may sound intimidating until I explain that most of the children present where there to meet with God on a serious level.

The Youth Worship band was wonderful. I can't explain what it looks like to see all those kids down front dancing and praising God in a genuine way. With hands raised in the air and singing at the top of their lungs the Church was ROCKING!

The speaker was GREAT and kept their attention well and then came the prayer time.

Wow.

Many children made commitments to God or recommitted themselves to God. They spent about 35-40 minutes down front praying. Some on their knees, some with hands in the air and some laying flat crying because "God was in the House". I could feel God's presence around the kids.

The part that makes this amazing to me is that the children were grades 2-5 only. Seven to 10 years old was the average age. A 7 year old spending a half hour praying without wavering just astounds me.

Matthew 18:2-6 (The Message)

2For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, 3and said, "I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. 4Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. 5What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me.

6"But if you give them a hard time, bullying or taking advantage of their simple trust, you'll soon wish you hadn't. You'd be better off dropped in the middle of the lake with a millstone around your neck.

Wow is all I can say.

No comments: