Thursday, March 09, 2006

My job....

I think all the children in my room need to have a shirt like this. I have discovered over the last several years that 1 thing is certain. Two year olds in large groups are very unpredictable yet highly entertaining.

Typical things that happen on any given day in a two year old classroom:
  • One or 10 potty accidents. Ranging from a little "squirtation" to a downright flooding of the shoes. You have to find humor in these events because if you don't you won't last long in a preschool setting. We could discuss the various "aiming" issues of trying to teach little bays to stand up...
  • I won't even discuss the "muddy" issues. But how does a child NOT know that they are pooping??
  • Oh and the words they say that the parent's don't think their child hears them say!
  • A complete meltdown full blown fit including kicking, screaming, tears and fist pounding over something as little as dropping their spoon on the floor at lunch. Heaven help us if someone takes a toy, hits a friend or pushes anyone!
  • When a two year old is not focused on an activity they tend to make their own activities. This can include painting their friend green, starting the daily 3000 lap marathon race around the room or finding out what exactly happens when I pull my friend's ponytail.
  • Almost every two year old I have met decides at some point that they must know how to fly. This event is preceded by climbing to the highest point in the room (this may be a filing cabinet, a toy cubby, a diaper changing station or to the top of the rocking chair) before falling/flying off to a hard landing usually on top of a friend. See point #3 on meltdowns.
  • And of course the biggest of all the two year old creed! If I had it, played with it yesterday, saw a friend play with it, thought about playing with it, thought about a friend playing with it...IT IS MINE!
I love my job. No really I do love my job because I get to be an influence on little lives. I am privileged enough to help raise someone else's child. There are benefits to my job also:

  • I get to hear everyday, " I love you!"
  • I can wear the same shirt printed with the daycare logo everyday and still be told that I am pretty.
  • "Bad hair day"?? No such thing when I have your own stylists to "help" with my hair as soon as I sit on the floor.
  • Seeing the look of amazement and surprise that a child gets when they figure something out for the first time.
  • When they come in for the day having a child jump out of Mom's arms to run over and give me a hug is a great feeling.
  • Hearing a child repeat my words as I pray with them before nap.
  • No one sounds bad singing when accompanied by 15 two year olds.
There are perks to my job and drawbacks...I just wish I was paid enough to be able to support myself without a husband. Anyone hiring? Just kidding! Ok not really because I need a job but I should not seem so desperate... :o)

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I supported myself, by myself, on a menial daycare salary for 8 years before I got married, and now it's been 4 years since Robert became a stay-at-home dad. I did what I had to do in order to do what I love. We've made sacrifices, we bought a duplex to help pay the mortgage, we live without certain things, we shop garage sales and thrift stores. We basically LIVE at Wal-mart, almost nothing I buy is name brand if it is full price. I have made it work.

I'm not by any means faulting you for the need to find something else, but I'm saying that I made it work with some sacrifices. But, You have to do what is best for you and I support you.

Patty said...

I was in the childcare business for sixteen years, and it was also a divorce (Actually child support from a divorce settlement ending.) that was the catalist for my career change. I became a physical therapist assistant, because I could get this degree the fastest and potentially make good money. Not good reasons to pick a career, but I ended up loving it.

My first job was in a nursing home, and I used to joke "I still change diapers and teach people to walk, only now I have letters behind my name, and they pay me A LOT more." Currently I care for senior citizens in my home, and do well finacially. (Plus get to stay home!)

God has already answered your prayer for financial gain, the answer just has not reached you as of yet. His timeing may be different than ours, but his timing is never wrong. Trust in the Lord, he will meet all of your needs and then some!

There is (abundant) life after divorce. Hang in there!