Monday, February 13, 2006

Well at least you tried.

Those are words I never heard from either of my parents. While it-chick was over trying to hook up the speakers to my Mom's computer (long story) she was frustrated because they wouldn't work.

No sounds.

I said "It-chick you have worked on them for an hour go home. She will never notice the difference (she didn't have sound before), you are tired and you gave it a shot at least you tried."

It-chick's response, "That has never been ok and you and I both know it."

She is right. Growing up we always knew that "Try your best" was really, "Do it right or don't do it at all." Or "If it isn't perfect keep working until it is because mediocre is for underachievers."

We were encouraged to be the best no matter what, be at the top of your class, be the perfect child...

No it was demanded of us.

I think at times I have an easier time letting things slide or get a little messy in my classroom because they are just kids. Let them be 2 years old but respectfully.

Maybe that is why I bristle when someone tells me I haven't met their expectations...when I haven't done things perfectly. I don't strive to be perfect or obsess about it because I will never be perfect. I never lived up to my parent's expectations so I take failure very personally.

I know that ultimately God is the one I need to strive to please...His opinion is the one that matters.

I hope when I get to heaven I hear something like "Well done good and faithful servant." But I would be just as happy to hear at the end, "At least you tried."

4 comments:

maynard said...

Have a Happy February 14th, Hope you have a great DAY!!!

Sheri said...

I believe I was pushed to the extreme by my father as well. I think it made me a better person. I think I try my best to be efficient and "perfect" because that is the way I was raised. I was raised to do my best. I was raised that failure is not an option. My father would be proud of the person I am today. In my case, I thank God my dad pushed me. He also taught me to speak my own mind and respect others opinions.

Thanks pops!

one4JC said...

There is more to it than that Sheri...at least from what I typed.

I never heard the words, "Good Job." No matter how well we did it was never good enough. If I had straight A's they would wonder why I wasn't the first in my class ...why I was only ranked 7th.

I don't know if he would be proud or wondering why I hadn't done a better job.

Sheri said...

I wasn't saying anything about you in particular. I know each situation is different. I was simply commenting on my life in general. I wouldn't dare think I knew what your life was or wasn't.

:)