Thursday, February 09, 2006

Deep thoughts on Superheroes


It is no secret that I love Superman. I have always associated Superman with my Dad but lately I have been associating Superman with God. He is a fortress, can do anything and loves deeply. Superman has a weakness. Krypton weakened Superman and made him vulnerable. God has no weaknesses but we can hurt Him. A few months ago I heard a sermon dealing with how some turn there backs on God and how we all turn our backs to Him (so to speak) when we make other things more important than Him.

A Pastor during a sermon one night looked at all of us and said, "Some of you know the sting of adultery first hand...you know the hurt and betrayal personally and I'm sorry that you have had to experience that awful event. With that in mind consider this...Every time you put another relationship, a possession or a thing in front of your relationship with God you are causing Him that same pain. The hurt, the betrayal and the pain of being rejected. We are all guilty of doing that at some time..even I have done that (the pastor) but do you want to do that voluntarily or ask for His help in making Him first every time?"

This struck me hard. I had found out about my husband's affair only weeks before. The pastor was aware of this and when I approached him afterward he apologized for the bluntness but stated that it does in fact give that analogy several times in the Bible. I told him I knew that and I understood but WOW what a difference that sermon had just made in my life.

I remember that statement almost every day in my prayer time and repent for putting other things in front of Him.



Well Wonder Woman has always been Big Red's favorite superhero. So on a funny note I was playing around with this site and came up with this little "dream revenge". It in no way could compare with the pain of adultery but thinking of him being turned down by one of his heroes gives me a little chuckle. I have moved to the point where I can pray good things for him and ask God to bless him and make his path straight. Sometimes I flutter back and forth with the idea of revenge but I will not intentionally hurt him like he has hurt me. He'll never see the cartoon so....

No comments: