Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My Mom's Beau....

So my Mom had another "discussion" with me about her Boyfriend. Let's just call him "Beau". The conversation started out discussing a new life insurance policy she is thinking about buying. I have seen too many Law and Order episodes because my first thought was, "Who is behind this? Who's idea was it? Who is the beneficiary? And how much is it worth?"...

Of course I did not rattle off all these questions. I let her slowly elaborate on this issue.

And I do mean slooooooooooowly....... If you knew my Mother you would know that she can turn the sentence, "Do you know what time it is?" into a 20 minute diatribe on time, it's relevance to her life, what I have done wrong to time and how she has been cheated out of it by X, Y, and Z.

So apparently Beau and my Mother have had several talks about getting married. She says she has told him that she will not marry him for at least a year. When I queried further on this she finally clarified that she meant a year from his wife's death not a year from their first date. Which she said would be around Labor Day. My Mom is not "firing on all cylinders"...ok I'm trying to be polite... and it makes me wonder if he is "firing on all cylinders". I know that he wears a hearing aid and it must not be tuned right because he is always yelling at me when I am only 5 feet away. Maybe that is the key! He can't hear her! Anyway....

They have even discussed a "pre-nup/will" of sorts where his kids would get his things and my sister and I would get her things etc. There is also a way to divide equally any assets aquired within the marriage to both families???!!! They have put a lot of thought into this...





Oh and the questions above? Maybe enough to bury her...my sister and I would get it....not the estate or Beau and it was her idea.

1 comment:

one4JC said...

She says that they will have all that clarified before they get married. I think as long as they use her lawyer (who seems savvy ie the other 1/3)she should be ok Financially. By the way she wants this kept on the QT...you and me are ok...I told her I would probably talk to you but no one else really...I don't think this counts.....