Saturday, April 22, 2006

Stress eaters



I have always known that I was raised to be a stress eater. Oh you fell off your bike...have a cookie.
Bad day at school... we'll have cheeseburgers for dinner. It's your birthday... let's have your favorite supper. This was not unusual in my home. It was however more common when I was the only one left living at home.

I didn't realize how much my Mom was a stress eater until I moved in with her last summer. It's not like she is really that stressed about anything right now BUT she sees my stress/anxiety over the divorce and keeps trying to feed me! If I look like a MIGHT shed a tear she makes cookies.

The biggest problem with this is that she knows all of my favorite foods. I find it really difficult not to fall into those old patterns that took me years to break myself of.

I understand the concern because I have lost 60 + pounds since this began last May. But I am 5'7 and needed to lose it anyway! A size 16 jeans are feeling loose at this point, so it's not like I've dipped below 100 pounds or anything!

She sees me eat. She knows I am eating. She would just be happier to plump me back up again.

On the other hand I do like seeing Big Red's face when he sees me...with the new body and longer hair...and him knowing he will never be able to touch it again!

1 comment:

Patty said...

The more I read your blog, the more I think you are re-living my life. I too lost a ton of weight from the stress of divorce. My ex (the one that left me because he was having an affair with his secretary) was sweet enough to notice my weight loss as well. His comment "Figures you'd loose weight after I leave you." Nice guy, isn't he?

As a mom, I can asy that I like to feed my kids when they come home. For everyone's health, I am trying to not fix every single favorite food in a two day period, and just pick one instead. Hang in there..... Doesn't mom go to the lake soon?