Wednesday, April 05, 2006

5. Antiphospholipid syndrome

I have a disease that I have been doing quite a bit of research on lately. It seems that NO doctors in Fort Wayne specialize in this disorder because it is so rare. There are 2 doctors in my area who know how to treat this in a pregnancy situation but really don't understand the implications on my total health. I find this to be a little frightening to say the least.

In the research I have found online most of it is from credible medical institutions (or I don't look at it). This is the general view of what it is:


The antiphospholipid antibody syndrome is an autoimmune phenomenon. The immune system's function is to watch for and defend against foreign substances in the human body (for instance, bacteria or viruses). One component of this defence system is the antibody. An antibody is a protein that can recognize and bind to a foreign substance. Once it has bound to this substance, it can attract other molecules and cells to destroy the offending molecule.
In some disease states, the immune system is not able to differentiate between foreign invading substances and normal components of the body; this is referred to as autoimmunity. There are a number of well known autoimmune disorders, including systemic lupus erythematosus, and studies on other diseases have suggested autoimmune components in a number of other illnesses.

This is why I have never carried a baby to full term. I do not have Lupus at this time. I have never made it past the 13 week because my body attacks the baby. In doing the research on this disease I have discovered that this may be the cause of my headaches, tiredness, low energy level and other things I have experienced my entire adult life.

The closest doctor who specializes in this is either South Bend or Indy so it looks as though I will be educating a doctor in my area about how to treat this successfully or driving a lot.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I also have this disorder without lupus. I did not find out that I had it until after my son was born. I have been diagnosed for over five years.