Friday, April 14, 2006

Chink...Chink....Chink


I have just returned from the Good Friday service at my Church without my nail. This has come to be one of my favorite services of the year. At first I couldn't understand why it was called Good Friday when it was the day that Jesus died. I couldn't comprehend why anyone would celebrate this day!! Chink...Chink....Chink

Until I became a Christian.

When I realized that every stroke from the whips and torture items was taken for me I started to understand. I say torture because I have seen some very well researched articles on this. I have spoken at length with a Pastor who has his Doctorate and has researched this for years. He actually learned the original languages and studied all the letters and the Bible itself in it's original language. The whips they used were not as I pictured. Yes there were a few that had traditional leather straps but there were others as well. Ones with metal hook like pieces attached...ones with shards of glass attached...ones with rocks and stones attached...some were designed to rip pieces of flesh from His body...and this was just the preliminary acts before the crowds decided to crucify Him. Chink...Chink....Chink



As they drove the nails into his hands in the movie "The Passion of the Christ" I shuttered and cried even harder. I know that He went through all that for me and He would have done it if it were only me but He did it to save the world. Chink...Chink....Chink

When we leave our sanctuary on Good Friday we remember what He did for us by a symbolic act. There are wooden crosses placed throughout the sanctuary by the exits. On the way in we are handed a nail. When we leave everyone goes out completely silently and we file passed the crosses. We are handed the hammer and we each drive our nail into the cross.


Chink...Chink....Chink

Today I listened as about 800 nails were driven in to the cross one by one.

Chink...Chink....Chink

They were driven in for our sins...They were driven in so we could have life...They were driven to pay for my sins...They were driven in so I could have freedom in Christ...

John 3:16-18
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Chink...Chink...Chink

Take time this weekend to remember what Easter means and get yourself right with your Maker.

Do you know God's Plan?

And don't forget That's My King...

1 comment:

Mike Jones said...

A good companion to your post would be to read "A Violent Grace" by Michael Card. He goes into that detail you speak of, the true anatomy of Christ's torture and death, with a very deft hand. He also makes clear the beauty and grace of the act of Christ's suffering, and makes of it a very vivid, powerful, and loving book. It's short, and if you ever get the chance, I highly reccommend it.