Friday, July 07, 2006

My very own watchdog

As I am winding down my evening Big Red calls to see if he can drop something off. Sure why not.

As he arrives and leaves less than 3 minutes after ringing the bell my phone rings. It is my beloved sister who lives across the street.

Seems a neighbor who has decided to keep an eye on me when he can spotted Big Red in front of the house, notified Coffee and she called me to make sure things were ok.

If I had to pick a guy in our neighborhood to "watch out for me" it would be this guy. He shaves his head and is a big burly motorcycle riding fellow who would scare most everyone I know away. He doesn't scare me anymore because I know him. He is just a giant teddy bear with a bit o' grizzly bear inside that he pulls out when he is poked too much.

I feel quite comforted by the fact that I have someone who keeps an eye on me and the neighborhood in general. Not all neighborhoods have the sense of community like that anymore.

If more people were like him then... well that's a whole different post on the pros and cons of addition living vs. country living.

More tomorrow...

1 comment:

Patty said...

I used to have a sheriff that lived across the street from me, and did the same kind of protecting that you talk about.

Once I had loaned my van to a friend, and as he was leaving town with it, this sheriff noticed, pulled him over, and ask "What are you doing with Patty's van?" Totally freaked my friend out, but made me feel very, very secure to know I was being looked after.