Monday, July 10, 2006

Everybody was Kung Foo fighting...

So I stopped by to see a friend of mine tonight. I wanted a scooter ride and well...I knew I needed to check in with her today.

So I walk in the door and the children all perk up and I can see the thought bubbles above their heads...

"Ohhhhhh a new audience to perform for......"

I follow my friend upstairs while she folds laundry and observe the following things:

1. An almost 4 year old trying to shoot me with a "power saw" that lights up.

2. A 2 year old touch absolutely every thing that his mother had told him not to touch for the last 2 weeks in a matter of 3 minutes.

3. A 2 and 4 year old wrestling on a bed and hitting each other in spots that would hurt in 10 years or so if they continue to hit each other there.

4. Three children faces light up when Daddy walks into a room and scoops them into hugs at different times.

5. Two female dogs getting a little confused about the mating process.

6. A Mom scoop up her son and smother him with kisses while he giggles like only a two year old can.

7. A house full of love and laughter even in the mist of a difficult time emotionally.

I know these kids and they are not high strung like this. Every child needs to show off every once in a while. And these parents have the ability to watch and laugh yet set limits to maintain a balance between fun and chaos. I know these parents and they are loving like this all the time.

I look forward to visiting this "Grown up" house more often. After living in chaos myself for so long I had forgotten how a "normal" family can function and live like grown ups without the construction mess.

Oh and the title... as I was leaving the house the Dad was wrestling around with the kids and singing "Everybody was Kung Foo Fighting..."

Now I have had the song stuck in my head all night long!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thanks! That song's stuck in my head too.