Monday, April 23, 2007

The gang that almost took me out!

So on Sunday I was out riding "Tinkerbell" aka the scooter when I turn onto a road at a light and hear a plethora of little horns honking that are not that all dissimilar to mine. Not wanting to be even more of a geek I chose not to turn around and look but I had a feeling.

At the next light I suddenly hear a LOT OF LOUD motorcycle engines pull up behind me. Between the revving engines I hear that "cutsy girly" laughter that used to make my stomach turn in High school and some deep belly laughter.

I swallowed hard and took off when it turned green.
ZIP! ZIP! ZIP! ZIP!

Vroom! ZIP! ZIP! ZIP! ZIP!

No less than 8 sport motorcycles with tan college aged guys zip by with about 6 girls with the shortest shorts legal (at least I think they are legal).

Now picture this...I am a white almost transparent skinned lady on a scooter that tops out at 35 MPH with a helmet on...and the studly eight have just flown by me like I am standing still.

Here is the point....

Several years ago this would have made me cower inside and perhaps put away the scooter for a couple weeks...heck even last summer this might have happened.

Now it didn't really bug me. Of course I was bothered by the dust the bikes kicked up into my face as they were speeding past me but I chalked it up to them being immature youngsters with a case of spring fever.

Then it clicked. A light bulb went off. Big Red has one of these sport bikes. He says he has been borrowing it from a neighbor but.... the neighbor must never need it because Big Red is on it a lot. (I only know this because we only live a mile or so apart)

Big Red still has the immaturity that sometimes goes along with owning one of these motorcycles.

I have grown past this. Yes I am still a kid at heart but through the process of the divorce I have matured and grown past all this foolishness. I don't really care too much what people think.

I do have a few friends whose opinions mean a great deal to me. Some I have known only a year, 5 years and even one left over from before I was a Christian who I have known for over 11 years. Their opinions matter when it comes to issues of faith and friendship.

But a stranger or a gang of college aged motorcyclists have no effect on what they think of me. If they were to actually speak to me then I hope they would see that there is something different about me because of God. But to judge me, make fun of me or look down on me without speaking to me....ehhhhh what am I to do? Nothing. Doesn't phase me at all.

Not now anyway.

1 comment:

Patty said...

That is the coolest thing about growing up emotionally. There is amazing freedom from a ton of junk that used to seem important but just never was. Maturity let's us see many more things with eyes wide open rather than wide shut!