Saturday, April 28, 2007

Fair trial?

I am sure everyone on earth has heard the story of the 101 year old woman was mugged for $33.00 and some keys. First the news broke that they were questioning someone...Now they have made an arrest.

Good.

Well maybe...

After all the public outrage that followed the media onslaught he is a marked man. What are the chances he will EVER get a fair trial?

Let's for giggles assume he is innocent AND if he is acquitted I bet he doesn't make it a week on the streets before vigilante justice takes over. I am not advocating this! I am simply saying some nut job could get a hold of him. You might as well paint a bullseye on the man because of all the media coverage.

OK now the flip side...he's guilty, actually did the crime, and is convicted. How long will he make it in jail? Or even worse what if he didn't do it and is convicted before the trial even starts.

Granted he is no angel. He has a record and was arrested for drug charges and THEN questioned when they realized he looked like the sketch.

Now in the spirit of honesty here...I have had more than my fair share of relatives in jail/State prison and Federal prison. And well... by the grace of God... I have not been placed there myself. I currently have a relative in protective custody because he is sick...terminally ill...and he can't defend himself. Even in Prison there are certain individuals who are the lowest of the low...they quickly become "girlfriends" of others...prisoners have their own system of justice for some crimes.

I imagine beating up a 101 year old woman for $33.00 would put him in this category.

But what if he didn't do it?

Has the media gone to far in playing the video countless times and stirring up a feeding frenzy?

I firmly believe in righteous indignation. Sometimes anger is the right response. Certain things should make us angry.

Does this feed into the desensitization that we are experiencing with violence? I remember when Ultimate Fighting Championship could ONLY be seen on video and they were hard to come by because they were "too violent" for some stores to sell. (Yes Big Red liked them.) Now you can see them on Cable TV marathons on Saturday afternoons.

***Basically this is a modern day Roman Gladiator type event. They go into an Octagon and beat each other until one "submits/tap out", time is up or the referee stops the fight because someone is unconscious or "unable to defend themselves"***

Maybe I am just tired...I don't know? What do you think?

1 comment:

Patty said...

Okay! I am the one person in the Universe that has not heard this story...Poor woman.

I do agree that the media loves nothing more than a feeding frenzy, and will beat a story to death if it is sensational enough. What I always wonder is this...While they are so busy over-reporting things like "the iterview of the third cousin, once removed from the check-out clerk at the local grocery store where the woman sent her friend's neice to get her groceries" what true news is NOT being reported?