Monday, September 18, 2006

Irrational fears

Bats. I am afraid of bats. I had never really had any contact with Bats until Big Red and I started remodeling our house for those few months before we gave up and moved in...but that is a whole different story.

Big Red found a bat in the house...put it in a birdcage and brought it back to our apartment. Up until this time I had been indifferent towards bats. I didn't really have an opinion one way or the other. Until I saw one up close.

Very Close.

He brought it into the bathroom as I was getting out of the shower and held the cage a foot or so away from me as he "unveiled" his surprise. I came unglued because of the teeth, hair and ewwwness of it. Once I informed him that bats do in fact carry LICE I managed to squash any hopes he had of keeping it as a pet.

Fast forward several months.....Big Red is working at a home health care patient's home while I was working on the computer upstairs in the "new" house.

One4jc: Hmmm what was that sound?............................................. Turns around quickly to check for the cats or maybe a dog in the room......... hmmmm no animals?

While facing the computer I am hit in the back of the head by a FLYING BAT! AHHHHHHH!


I spin around to see it flying around the room. I run screaming from the room slamming the door behind me to keep it contained. I grab a cordless phone and beeline for my shoes in the living room downstairs. One shoe on and I look up to see.....ANOTHER BAT flying around the ceiling fan! You have got to be kidding!

One shoe on, phone in hand wearing boxer shorts and an old T-shirt but being braless as it is well into the nighttime hours. I called Big Red and gave him the play by play but louder and faster and with more screaming involved. His response? I'll be home in a while. OH NO you don't....I'm not going into that house until the BAT is DEAD! Argument ensues about what will happen to the BAT....One4jc wins because he is told he has 15 minutes to get home before I call animal control to have them removed from the house.

When he pulls up 1 hour later I am still standing outside as the animal control guy is inside our house catching bats.

The kicker is that animal control guy takes them downtown to the bat houses located on top of the buildings...less than 1/2 a mile away from my house.

This was not the last time we had bats in the house as I was dive bombed by bats in the basement while trying to do laundry, had them fly right past my head in the kitchen and other instances before Big Red finally found the hole where they were coming in and sealed it...tight.

So what are you afraid of?

3 comments:

cmhl said...

snakes. see my most recent post... eeek.

maynard said...

Ditto..It was around 2am and we got up to let the dog out and I fed the baby. I was rocking the baby in the dark and the ex went back to bed 1 room away on the same floor. Next I feel something fly by me, thinking man that was a big fly, but on the second pass, I realize it was not a fly. At the top of my lungs I am screaming at the ex to wake up. Finally he gets up and wants to know what is going on. There is a bat in this house as I am heading to the bedroom with the baby, call me when you get it out of the house. That took about 2 minutes. Ex loves bats.

Patty said...

For me it is mice. My sister says it is because our older brother used to catch them and then chase us with them to scare us... It worked. Over the years I have gotten better. I can now catch a glimps of a dead one, or one on TV and NOT have a total melt down. Fortunately, I have not had one (to my knowledge) in my house for many a year. This is probably why I let my cats get away with murder... Be kind to your mouser, they could save you from a heart attack is my motto!