Sunday, February 18, 2007

Mommy Dearest....

I know I might be showing my age a little by asking if anyone remembers the film Mommy Dearest? Why you ask?

I am doing a few loads of Laundry today and when I went to the closet to get hangers.....you following me here?...I thought of this movie.

Here is a link (be warned of some language) to some of the more famous quotes from the movie but here is the monologue that I remember most vividly:

No... wire... hangers. What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers EVER? I work and work 'till I'm half-dead, and I hear people saying, "She's getting old." And what do I get? A daughter... who cares as much about the beautiful dresses I give her... as she cares about me. What's wire hangers doing in this closet? Answer me. I buy you beautiful dresses, and you treat them like they were some dishrag. You do. Three hundred dollar dress on a wire hanger. We'll see how many you've got if they're hidden somewhere. We'll see... we'll see. Get out of that bed. All of this is coming out. Out. Out. Out. Out. Out. Out. You've got any more? We're gonna see how many wire hangers you've got in your closet. Wire hangers, why? Why? Christina, get out of that bed. Get out of that bed. You live in the most beautiful house in Brentwood and you don't care if your clothes are stretched out from wire hangers. And your room looks like some two-dollar-a-week furnished room in some two-bit back street town in Oklahoma. Get up. Get up. Clean up this mess.

All this time she is beating her daughter for this infraction. With the coat hangers.


Now I am a bit young to remember this movie in such detail as it came out in 1981. Here is the kicker. My Mom decided to take my sister and I to this movie in the theaters. She had read the book and decided we should all go see it.

WHAT?

So we are on our way out to the car after this scared- the- crappola- out- of- me- movie and my Mom turns to us and says, "See you don't really have it that bad after all do you?"

crickets chirping...............................................................................................

If you ask my Mom about this she denies it happened but my sister and I remember it VIVIDLY.

And yet my Mother bristles when I say I became a Christian in 2002. She gets upsets and points out to everyone that I was raised in the church and I have always been a Christian. This church where I was taught:
  1. Hell doesn't exist. It is another parable like the feeding of the 5000.
  2. Everyone goes to Heaven.
  3. As long as you utter the name of Jesus at some point in your life you will sit at the right hand of God.
Wow and they wonder why I walked away? If everyone goes to Heaven why "waste time" in a Church pew?

I may have been raised in an environment where some people followed Christ but I DID NOT have a relationship with Him until 2002.

This post is so much more than I intended to type but the bottom line is if God can forgive me and all the junk I have done He can forgive anyone.... More info here.

Can you tell that my Mom and Beau will be back in town tonight? They have been gone since January 7th and the lack of stress has been wonderful....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

she took me twice