Tuesday, November 14, 2006

More pictures from Jamaica...

This is a typical house in Jamaica. Most do not have screens on the windows. Many homes do not have electricity or running water. Yet we knew people lived there because candles would illuminate the night and we would see them coming and going throughout the day. I never saw a lawnmower being used but I did see many homes with goats tied in the yard eating grass.


This is a picture of the entertainment center that my friend and I designed and built. The dimensions, cutting the wood, hammering and screwing them together only took a day and a half. We had to complete a few odds and ends projects during that time as well BUT midway through the second day the shelves were ready to be sealed with shellac. I had no idea that the two of us could complete it and make it sturdy but everyone else on the team had no doubt.

I cried when we finished it. I have been told for so long now that what I did wasn't good enough, I didn't do it right and that I was incompetent that when it was finished I was overwhelmed. The biggest thing God taught me on this trip is that I can do anything I set my mind to. I got my self confidence back!
Here is a picture of another project we built. This is an end table in one of the girl's room. In the background you can see the freshly painted walls and the new bedspread as well.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I am so happy for you!

P.S.

Your entertainment center is beautiful Good job!