Saturday, November 18, 2006

Banana trees and Jucci patties

The bananas in the grocery store just don't taste the same after you have had one that has been picked off the tree in your backyard. I have never been a real big fruit eater (I have however dated many fruits but that is another post) but while in Jamaica we were at the mercy of what the cook at the children's home decided to serve us. All the fruit down there seem to be sweeter. I even liked the fresh pineapple.

I bought bananas when I came back to my "House of no food". You see while I was gone Mom and Beau came down to "sort through some clothes and stuff to take back to the other house". I was assured none of my possessions would be altered or taken. You see I don't like change. It is partially a control issue having to do with times in my childhood when I had absolutely no control. Not many people do like change BUT for me it causes actual physical effects. I start to get agitated, start sweating, get a headache and my heart beats really hard. This lasts usually until I can take an hour or so to "explore" the changes that were made without me.

Anyway back to the "House of no food"~~~

I came home Sunday afternoon please note that I was supposed to arrive home Saturday Night but due to delays and other circumstances (beyond my control) I ended up spending the night in Atlanta before catching yet another flight home. I walked in to find the living room absolutely spotless....Great you might say until you learn that I could not find my file folder of bills due for 3 days, I am still missing a few of my knickknack type items but I am pretty sure she took those too.

I was tired. The kind of tired where you could sleep for days with no problem. I drop the one piece of luggage that came with me (the rest arrived at 2:00AM when the airport people rang my doorbell to deliver it) and stumbled to my room only to find things piled on my bed. If they couldn't find a spot for it it went on my bed...even the stuff that belonged to my Mom last May but now she has forgotten she owned.

Sigh....

I'll catch a nap on the couch...stumble to the kitchen to grab a hot cup of coffee (yes I know this is a new thing...it has to be flavored coffee but I am addicted) but I open the fridge to find...nothing. Well it had some things but not what I had left...a pitcher of koolaid, a few Pepsi's (I had a case before I left), a few packets of Jelly, Dr. Phil weight loss drinks (I have no idea where these came from but it had better NOT have been a hint from Mom), a half jar of Mayo, a 6 lb 13 oz can of tapioca pudding and batteries in the drawer.

WHAT!??!!

I open the cabinets to find all of the boxed prepared food (OK so I am not a gourmet chef) gone as well. No dishes, no paper plates, DVD player gone, VCR gone, MY plant gone, blankets in the living room that I had made ... poof! gone, trash bags, zip lock bags, Hot chocolate, pots and pans, even the blankets I used on the back of the couch to stay warm... gone.

I cried.

I called Mom and she insisted she thought it was all hers. A few points here:
  1. She taught me how to "cook" doesn't it make sense that we would buy some of the same foods.
  2. Did she really think the butter in the fridge was left over from May?
  3. She thought I had dishes to use...I was scheduled to arrive home at 10:15 at night...sure let me go unpack the boxes in the garage and wash all those dishes so that I can have breakfast ...oh wait she took all that stuff too!
  4. Blankets are stored on the back porch...the non heated back porch where I needed to go search through tubs to find as I FROZE because it is 30 degrees here and 102 degrees when I went into the airport in Jamaica.
Anyway....Now that it off my chest.....

The other thing I fell in love with in Jamaica is Beef Jucci Patties. These are not really patties like we think of them here. They are more like hot pocket type products but with Jamaican flavored beef (yes cow not goat) inside. The bread on the outside in SOOOOOOOOOO good! Unfortunately I have not been able to find them in any of our local international food shops here in our fair city. I have located them in Indy and Chicago...but I'm tired of traveling at this point.

IF anyone knows where I can purchase them in Fort Wayne or a web address that will allow me to order them online and have them delivered I would be VERY grateful.

Since I have to restock the kitchen anyway I might as well make it with food I love....

No comments: