Saturday, June 10, 2006

I am feeling stronger...

I hadn't realized how much stronger I am as a person...OK not the kind of strength pictured but emotionally stronger.

So I went to the northern counties to attend the annual "town wide" garage sale. Now this entails about 100-150 sales spread across the town with a population that only swells to about 8,000 people in the summer because there is a lake. Sometimes you find good deals sometimes not. Today I did and Coffee will be happy once Mom relinquishes her hold on the goodies purchased for Coffee and Junior.

Anyway back to this stronger thing...

Our last stop is to a sale of which my Mom had some interest in...it is a civic type organization that my Madre belongs to at the moment. So we are sitting, talking with some friends of hers, enjoying the food that is being sold and someone new pipes in and asks Mom about her participation level. Same as every year no changes at all...She helps price and set up others do the manning of the spot and tear down.

No change there...

But a crappy look is given behind my Mom's back and two women (note I didn't call them ladies) scoot into the kitchen just inside the door not 15 feet from where we are sitting. In this room are about 5 other people as well.

One proceeds to speak very loudly, obnoxiously and just plain rudely about my Mom. I am not pleased as I can hear every word being said. I look at dear ol' Mom and explain the situation and tell her I'm going to take care of it.

I enter the house (small town atmospheres enable people to do this without being shot or maced) and say, "Hi I'm One4JC, (Mom's) daughter. Could you try not to talk loudly enough so that everyone can hear as you are so rudely discussing my Mom."

GASP....

She shoots back with, "I was just repeating what happened!"

I say, "She (meaning the lady she was complaning to) was out there. No need to recap. Your tone is rude and I see no need for you to be rude about it so just stop it. Thanks a lot." I say with a smile and I walked back to the garage.

I informed Mom of the exchange and she tried not to laugh...I guess everyone is afraid to stand up to this lady because she is SO rude and talks behind everyone's back.

We discussed it on the way home and told her that if she gets any crap about it tell them that she isn't responsible for the things I say (as I am an adult) and if they have issues with it have them call me.

Now back to the point...

Six months ago I can't say that I would have walked up to this lady and did this. I KNOW a year ago I would have shrunk back and said sorry Mom your on your own.

I feel stronger because I am getting stronger. YEAH for me!

5 comments:

cmhl said...

good for you, girl..

Patty said...

You go girl! How powerful to stand up for yourself (or someone you love) and then realize that not only does the world NOT end, but it feels pretty darn good. Congratulations!

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
one4JC said...

Just a double entry deleted...

Nic said...

Good for you girl! I'm proud of you. :)