Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Who's in charge?


I love this cartoon because this is how many of us go through life. We let other people or their actions dictate how we will live. I have come to discover in the last few months how I was being manipulated by Big Red. Before anyone gets upset please know that I understand the verses in Ephesians. But anyone who has read this for very long should know that I'm not in a healthy marriage. I do believe there is a difference between submitting to your spouse and being controlled and manipulated by him while he commits adultery.

With that said...

Many of us live life simply reacting to others or catering to unhealthy personality types. I believe that God does not want us to be walked on or used for anything other than His glory. I have read the book Boundaries by Dr. Cloud and Dr. Townsend several times (I guess I didn't get it the first 2 times!). I started to reread this recently and have gained even more information than before. God wants us to actively live life not coast through following others directions and whims.

Manipulation is NOT ok. Ultimatums are not ok. Threats are not ok. Bowing down and giving in to others is not ok. When you agree to participate in something (any action) you must do a heart check. What are your motives? Are you doing this cheerfully or because you are in fear of the reactions you will get?

The tagline on the book is, "When to say yes. When to say no to take control of your life." I think many of us could benefit from examining why we do things the way we do (isn't that a song?).

I guess I'm having one of those days when I am disappointed in myself for having been "taken for a ride". I don't know if this will even make sense to anyone but me. That is the beauty of an anonymous blog.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

You don't ??? My whole world is cru,bling. HeHeHe <--- evil grin