Sunday, December 18, 2005

Crack the whip until she gives

Well today my Mother seemed to belittle "your religion" and debunk all of my childhood memories all in one fell swoop. She has questioned me several times on what I believe are acceptable projects to work with on Sundays. I keep trying to explain that God asked us to rest on Sundays. Yes we have certain tasks to complete during the course of the day. Don't get me wrong I am not one of those people who believe in a certain number of steps being allowed etc. This is just an area of my life that God has really brought to my attention. It was during a time when Big Red thought we should be working to remodel the house 24/7. A direct quote from Big Red, "You don't really need 7-8 hours of sleep. You only work 40 hours a week now." I had just come off a salaried job that consisted of a 60+ hour work week. God convicted me on making time for Him and honoring Him by resting (not working on remodeling projects) 1 day out of the week. So I gave in today and finished a project for her. Sigh.

She also informed me that my memories of growing up in a house where Church was important and how I viewed my parents relationship were also wrong. I didn't even argue with her. How I viewed things was what was presented to me by them. But I can't argue with a woman who doesn't remember a conversation we had 30 minutes ago.

I guess I am doomed to be wrong until I move out. BUT the little passive aggressive comments will have to stop or I will be spending ALL my time in my room. Every sentence that has Big Red's name in it can't pass without her tacking on the word, "Allegedly". He may be not be up for sainthood but not every word spoken by him was a lie! I keep sharing my frustrations with her. I tell her at the moment she says something if I don't need to hear it. I am extremely peaceful about this divorce and I don't need her to fuel any unnecessary emotions. I will work through this at my own pace, not hers. She can be angry but please don't EXPOUND upon it everyday with me.

1 comment:

Ramona Porter said...

I have the same trouble with my mom. But she happens to live about 18 hours away from me (whew)... She thinks we Lutherans are a cult... Unfortunately, many of the "protestant" evangelical-types find us a little too "Roman Catholic" with our clerical vestments, liturgical services, sacraments, and crucifixes. Two Words: Teaching Opportunity.... It may take a long long time, but the Holy Spirit can still work faith as long as a person is still breathing....

God Bless.