Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A walk down memory lane

So my head hurts...I came home early from work and took a nap only to awaken to the doorbell ringing almost a half dozen times to announce that my Mom and Beau were paying me a visit.



So in my effort to avoid any detailed conversations that will make

my head hurt even more I took a drive to get some fresh air and run an errand.

I started wondering when my Mom became crazy exactly.



Was it after my Dad passed away? No she was rocky at best before all that happened.


Before I went to college? My high school years? Was it my brother who drove her over the edge in his High school years?

We may never know. But she is there....loonyville that is.....crazytown...she's happily calling it home these days.

In my thinking back on all of this I thought a lot about things from my childhood. The pleasant memories anyway.

The Little Rascals was always a favorite of mine....like the time they all went camping and forgot to pack food. Only the littlest kids brought jelly and bread and they all sat licking their lips until they all shared.

Mr. Rogers always reminds me of my Dad. You see as a child my Dad actually resembled him enough that other kids would stop us in stores to talk.

Captain Kangaroo (Captan Roo Roo) ruled at my house! I think I saw every episode and even had my big sis help me make my own picture pages since my Mom wouldn't buy them.

Rikki Tikki Tavi was on several times a year. Afterward my cat would "become" the snake and I would pretend to pounce on her. Good thing she didn't have claws!

I lived for the Laugh Olympics when all my favorites HB characters would get together and complete for the gold medal...Later we seemed to always have the same types of games going on in our backyard with some of the neighborhood kids.

After school specials seemed so "real and relevant" to my life. I never wanted to miss one. But no my Mom and Dad didn't divorce, no one was an alcoholic and the neighbor didn't have a drug house open. They didn't really pertain to me but they COULD have in my mind.

So what were your favorite cartoons as a kid? Where you allowed to watch TV? or "FORCED" to play outside all day?

2 comments:

Patty said...

My early childhood memories are sketchy at best. I remember watching The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights when I was in the orpahage, and yes! I was locked out of the house at my foster home. Not to go play, but to weed the garden and/or take care of the farm animals. I hide outside to play on my own, rather than be inside where I could get into trouble for the smallest of infractions.

Unknown said...

mom was always looney.
AND who are you kidding? We were an afterschool special they just have not made it yet.