Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

The many different aspects of St. Patrick's day have always been a little confusing to me. I am Irish. BUT I am a part of the orange wearing protestant Irish faction.

No I do not believe in Leprechauns.



If you read my Sister's blog you will already
know of some of the issues we faced growing up in the

community we did.

My Dad always insisted that we wear orange on St. Pat's

Day. Now please understand that being the Irish descendant that I am I bruised very easily and they tended to show up VERY WELL. It would become a game to all the other children to see who could leave the darkest/biggest bruise pinching me because I was not allowed to wear green that day.

My Mom would take mercy on us and give us a green leprechaun pin to wear after my Dad left the house for work.

The really ironic thing now is that we were raised in such a way as to encourage us to be friends with anyone, date anyone and not hold anything against anyone because of how they look. My sister and I both ended up married to men with origins based in different countries.

BUT this one day a year in my Dad's mind all of those things were out the door.

So anyway if you are heading out this evening to partake in the beverages please do it responsibly and DON"T DRIVE!

And if you happen to see me be warned that if you pinch me I may not react as well as I did in school... I bruise a lot easier now because of this blasted clotting disorder I have.

No comments: