Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ruth Graham

No matter what your stance on which religion is "right" one has to admit that we lost a very Godly woman today.

According to the AP Ruth Graham wife of Billy Graham died this afternoon at the age of 87.

I find it amazing that in the midst of their grief they are talking of how they look forward to seeing her in heaven.

Yes I understand this in principle but within hours of her passing they are saying this?.... That is an incredibly deep faith. Maybe it comes with age or wisdom or a longer walk with God...(or great press agents) but I know when I lose someone I am angry at first... it takes several days for the heaven part to kick in inside my mind.

I am just amazed once again by all that God can do with one person or one couple who are devoted to God with their whole hearts.

I remember as a child my Grandpa would watch the crusades on TV...he never sent money in that I know of but I watched as he wept while he was praying and watching people give their hearts to God on TV. This was foreign to me as a child but now I understand.

Just a thought rattling around in my brain.

3 comments:

Robert Rouse said...

Maybe it's because I was raised in the church, or because it has been instilled in me as a child but I rejoiced when my dad passed because I knew we would spend eternity together.

My most vivid memory of the day my dad passed is this . . . My dad opened his eyes for the first time in 2 days and I knew it was time. I phoned Pastor Ron who immediately came to the hospital. My dad held on until Ron walked into the room and he breathed his last. I remember holding onto Ron and saying, "Ron, I know he is dancing in God's presence right now!" It was my first thought and the one that gave me most comfort.

Perhaps that is what the Graham's are holding onto as well, knowing she is far beyond the reach of suffering. Perhaps it's not deep faith, but merely blind faith. . .

Sheri said...

Ooops . . . that was me.

Unknown said...

Did you know that he prayed fervently for the salvation of his grandchildren? And look. Look at the ones whose mother passed after dad. Look at us? I have to think that somewhere his prayers had an impact on us.