Sunday, June 03, 2007

Let the games begin!

So I wasted a few gallons of that precious commodity we call gas to drive around to a car lot or two searching for the next One4JC vehicle.

I feel like I am getting hosed because they see me walk on the lot and play rock paper scissors to see who gets to take a crack at me.

I was chased down on 2 different lots as they tried to talk to me but on the 3rd lot my escape route was blocked by an oncoming car.

Crap!

I found a car that I love at this lot. I found a black bug in my price range with everything except the moon roof. He, the dealer who caught me, did talk me into a test drive.

Next thing I know he has whisked me into the showroom to talk prices, relieved of my keys to appraise the "trade-in" and pulled out paperwork to start the financing process.

I humored him to see what he could offer me.

Just because I am a female doesn't mean I am totally ignorant about the price of cars, trade in values and other testosterone laden things.

He came back with a payment of $350.00/month at 11.25% interest rate for an $8500.00 car!

I laughed at him and asked for my keys back.

He started back tracking and negotiating. I did get the loan lengthened, my trade-in value upped and the interest rate down to 7.5%. However it is still out of my price range. I told him I needed to have someone come look at the car. He offered me a phone. I said I needed to crunch numbers and pray about it and he still tried to get me to put a refundable deposit down on the car. I didn't.

We left it that he will call me Monday morning and I will work on my own financing and person to look at the car. However I do not like the pressure he tried to use. He wanted me sign the paperwork and drive away with the car within an hour of the first test drive.

I don't think so.

2 comments:

Patty said...

Of course you did the right thing! It is surprising to me the number of people that fall for these pressure tactics, are out (only)looking, and before the end of the day are driving home a new car, pulling a trailer to haul the huge payment book that comes along with it. Take your time and stay in charge!

JR - A Green Eyed Gurl.... said...

I drive the lots at night, on Sunday or in horrendous weather, it really cuts the hassle from pesky salespeople!