Wednesday, January 17, 2007

This one can make you think.




If you watch this video and really listen to the words of this song it should touch your heart. As a church body we tend to present ourselves as perfect. We have a hard time looking past the "Scarlett letter" on someones jacket. We have a hard time looking past the sin to see the sinner.

If I truly look at myself I can freely admit that I am a sinner. I continue to sin despite my best efforts to not sin. We are a sinful people. Period. When I (or anyone else) look at a person and judge them for their sins then we are going against the very concept of Grace and Mercy that we welcomed when we became Christians.

As Christians we are called to hold each other accountable. But to hold each other accountable is to do so in love not in judgement. I think that is where a lot of us get caught up in the wrong attitude.

I for one am not perfect. I make mistakes. I do the wrong thing sometimes. But I try...I try to be more like Christ with my thoughts and actions. I hope that I have the right words when I see a friend stumble.

I had dinner with a friend last night. "T" and I have chosen to hold each other accountable as we walk out our faith in everyday life. You see we bonded on the trip to Jamaica. She was one of my roommates and we always ended up sitting next to each other on the airplanes. We got to know each other very well. We seem to have found a balance of being able to lovingly hold each other accountable without being judgemental. I think this is one of those people I will still have in my life 25 years from now. At least I hope so.

No comments: