Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day is FINALLY over!

Every year I dread this holiday for several reasons. Obviously you know about the kids that I don't have with me. But the other reason is my own Mom.

Growing up we were taught that we had to do everything for her on this day. But this wasn't really much different than other days we just were expected to smile about it and present her with a card for our efforts.

Remember the Mommy Dearest Post?

I love my Mom. We have our moments where our family looks more like Roseanne than the Brady Bunch.


Sometimes it is hard to work up the nerve to go see her because of the energy required to steel yourself against the barrage of negative comments. I truly believe that at times she doesn't realize what she is
saying.

But sometimes I think she does and has just reached the point where she doesn't care what we think.

In her later years it has become more challenging to overlook these little family idiosyncrasies. In the last 10 years there have been many times that I thought we may really need to call Dr. Phil.

I did manage to make it most of the way through church this morning before I fell apart during the final prayer. I even made it passed the point where they asked all Mothers to stand and be recognized.

Maybe I am just a little bitter today. Tomorrow will be a different day...a better day.

1 comment:

Patty said...

After rolling on the floor for a full five minutes I pulled it together enough to write my comment. The part about "It really isn't any different then any other day we were just expected to smile about it and present her with a card for our efforts" is funny stuff. Belongs in a stand up routine! Maybe it is just funny to me because I lived it as you did. Anyway, I am glad you made it through the day.