Monday, May 28, 2007

Lessons learned at a laundromat.

So because my "laundry person" at work was sick at the end of last week I had to take the bag 'o quarters to the laundromat. If you read the previous posts you will note that I have been a little under the weather.

Today is the first day I left the house for the 3 day weekend as I have slept for most of those other 2 days.



So it was easier to take the quarters to the multi machine facility for 1 1/2 hours than to spend the entire day doing laundry here at the house.

It has easily been 3 or more years since I have been to a laundromat...Oh how things have changed!


1. Keep your quarters in your eyesight at all times. I am pretty sure at least one of the guys was homeless. He sat in front of the machines and watched the laundry tumble yet I never saw him actually touch anything. He did walk around occasionally and look for spare change.

2. If one drops on the floor forget about it! The children are swarming around looking for change for the vending machines. I did see most of the parents give them a quarter or two but 1 or 2 was never enough according to the children.


3. Many different languages are spoken at a laundromat. Almost all of the children were bilingual. Even if you hear the words Mickey Mouse that doesn't mean you are allowed to smile or look like you understood EVEN if you are the one with the Mickey Mouse Item.

4. In the movies and TV shows where people are all happy and talkative... Yeah. Doesn't happen. I did not see one person grab a bottle of pop and start a dance line while singing in the building on the way to the streets to continue the "parade".

5. One has to take a car to the laundromat. No scooter in the world will hold 3+ loads of laundry.

6. Those great romances that are born out of conversations while folding your delicates at the counter? Yeah. Not going to happen. The only guys I saw where either missing MOST of their teeth (and the one or two left were already black) OR they were the smart ones who dropped off the laundry for the Pay By the Pound method. Oh wait there was one guy who had been dragged there by his wife...

7. If you walk away from a machine that you just took clean hot laundry out of to go get the wet laundry to REFILL the machine... don't expect it to be available when you turn back around.

8. I think my "laundry person" deserves a bonus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I bet that SPIDERMAN'S scooter would hold three plus loads of laundry and he could fight the bad guys too!